Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Day 10~ Write 31 Days ~ Funny Fall Folder for School or Work!

When I plan a party or any type of event, there has to be some sort of organization to
my craziness, so folders have become my friends! I showed my larger three ring binder notebook, this is a folder that can fit into the binder. It has three holes that can be popped out, and it has pockets inside. I love the pockets, they can hold smaller paper, notes, or invitations. Best of all, the folder can be taken out of the notebook and taken with you to the store, work, or... if your kids like it, more than likely, it will go to school with them!

These folders, with really pretty, bright colors caught my eye a month or so ago, I immediately thought about using one for planning our Candy Giveaway Extravaganza, or more commonly known as Halloween.

These colors just holler out to me, I love the combinations, as you might know, from my use in floral arrangements, sewing, and even baking, I like to use orange and purple together, and lime green is just the right bit of color to make anything pop! I would also add in a deep turquoise color! lol. That's me.
One of the 'drip' papers turned pour painting

I could use this sheet of drip paper that I had left over from making some of the pour painted pictures (say that five times fast!) but I think I'm going for something a bit more
Halloweeny, so I'll use napkins.

Yep, napkins.
I have two types of napkins in over-abundance! I'll show you one folder made of each type.. I like the cutesy one, but then again....

 These are one type of napkin that I have in abundance, it is on the more macabre side, so I'll use some 'poison' jars that came off candy packages, leftover, from last year. A few eyes for good measure and a centipede. ribbon with spiders is a fun addition. I could use some plastic spiders as well, maybe some glitter, but for now, we stick to a plain version.

Before I get to the cute folder, I'll share how I created this macabre folder!

This is a shiny folder, so I used an emery cloth, just to scuff up the shine a bit, then I used PVA glue, spread around in the general shape of the napkin I used. The shape of this is square, so it was pretty easy, a thin layer will do, I kind of got carried away!
 Smooth the napkin down as evenly as possible, it doesn't have to be perfectly smooth, but if there is writing like this one, you should try to smooth it so it is legible.

The 'bottles' were added next, the same as the napkin, but the glue was very dry. I could have used hot glue on this, but wanted to see how the PVA would do. As long as it was applied very thinly, almost dry, it worked fine on the surface. I liked this centipede, so I glued him on as well, and have these fun eyes that needed to be scattered around! This was fast and easy, should be used with a bit of care, since the extras can be squished... ewww... squished eyeballs...

Ribbon is nice, the spider on organza finished this off, but you could always add more ribbon or glitter, which I thoroughly intended to use, but found that it just didn't need bling!  The jars did, however need something more, I used the border of the napkin to cut a 'shelf' for two of the jars to 'sit' on. I thought it was good, so I glued it down.







  











Second Folder
These napkins are cute and I have a ton of them. We hoarded one year when we were planning a large get-together, and ended up not using that many, so I've used them every year since. I think we had allowed for 150 people, ended up with something like 75, so there was an abundance of paper plates, napkins, and cutlery. The cutlery went fast, it is nice to have extras, and black goes with everything, but the Halloween theme just isn't suited for New Years. 
I love to use these on other projects, and will share another tomorrow. For today, we need to have:
Paper napkins- printed with image that you like
Paper folder, any color, but I like to stick to a theme.
PVA glue (white school glue)
Paints- Acrylic- in matching or contrasting colors, and white
paintbrushes or foam brushes
cup for water
cup for mixing
glitter
ribbon
gemstones

Cut out the shape of the image on the napkin, leave the plies together so it is easier, once cut out,  you can remove the plies to leave only the outer, printed layer.

Paint a swath on the folder with white paint. It does not have to match the shape of the image, but can be literally a swath of about 4 inches, but make sure that it is wide enough so that the image you have will be completely over white paint.  Allow to dry completely. If folder is shiny, give it a bit of roughing up with a fine sandpaper first, then use a tack cloth to remove any grit and paper dust.

use a paintbrush to mix a bit of  1 ounce of PVA glue and a few drops of water. Paint over the area you would like to position the image. Cover the area well, but not excessively, lay the image over the glue, smoothing gently with your fingers or a piece of paper toweling.

Try to gently work out all air bubbles.  If you have one or two that persist to stay filled, which is unlikely, but you may have a bit of bubble problem, you can use the tip of a knife to pierce the napkin to allow the air out. Simply smooth down and it will fill with glue.

I allow this layer to dry very well, then use paint mixed with a bit of glue and water to paint around the edges of the napkin, and across the white swath that you painted. Use glitter while this layer is still wet, or wait for it to dry completely and add bits of glue where you want glitter specifically, then sprinkle with glitter and shake off excess.

I will post the pictures quickly, sorry about the delay. 


No comments:

Post a Comment